Godzilla: The First 70 Years: The Official Illustrated History of the Japanese Productions by Steve RyfleMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Before I started reading, I was worried this might prove to be an empty-headed coffee table book full of pictures and little else. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that it’s actually a reasonably well written history of Godzilla’s film career, at least in Japan. Going movie by movie, the text supplies fascinating behind-the-scenes details ranging from storytelling decisions down to minute details about production techniques. I particularly liked the longitudinal sidebars, such as the in-depth descriptions of how the Godzilla suits differed from movie to movie. Coverage is strongest for the millennium series, though the rest of the book is also thorough. I had a couple of issues with the e-book version on Hoopla, including formatting problems and occasional spots where captions and pictures didn't match. But overall this book is well worth the attention of anyone with an interest in the subject.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment