Saturday, November 20, 1999

Review – Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace

I can’t quite seem to put my finger on it, but somehow the magic just doesn’t seem to be there. I guess it might be that this latest entry in the Star Wars series is a great deal more effects-intensive than the first three. It also lacks the star power of the originals, Liam Neeson notwithstanding. And I suppose part of the problem might be that I was a great deal more receptive to the whole sci-fi thing when I was a teenager. Still, despite the impressive technical quality of the production, the characters and plot just aren’t quite as engaging. The plot is effortful, at points seeming more like a Cliff’s Notes summary of a story rather than the story itself. There’s also a fair amount of uncomfortable racism, not only in the controversial Jar Jar Binks character but also in the Shylock-esque junk dealer and the sinister Asian demeanor of the villainous Trade Federation mandarins. All that aside, however, you get enough bang for your bucks to make this a pleasant viewing experience. Mildly amusing

No comments:

Post a Comment